Thursday, November 15, 2012

The fourth student professor session - new ideas!

After the previous session I commented we have a pattern - the classes follow more or less the same structure. But the classes have shown good quality, so nothing wrong with that.

The radio team took a big and giant step out of the box by inviting a guest expert speaker. Or actually inviting the team to the working environment of the expert.


It was brilliant! Not only that we made a virtual visit to a real radio studio, but also that a passionate media professional shared her insight with the class. So far the visit to YLE was to me the absolute single expression of principal use of brains on this course. A very creative team this was!


The written feedback from the feedback team is so far missing, but if I remember correctly they did a very good job again. You can always discuss about the appropriate extent of the history part, but the length of individual parts of the class is not the key issue. Quality is the key and quality we again witnessed.

One more thing I that I found especially good and hilarious in this class was the section with the history of recording techniques. I have seldom seen such captivating illumination of technology! An exemplary demonstration of smart research and use of YouTube resources.

There are many details to praise and some to discuss in this class. But I really regret that I mentioned DXing as a very important  subtopic missing. No, it is not so important students should include it in a 90 minute presentation covering radio and recorded music. The thing is, that for an elderly professor it is important to mention it as a pre-internet that it in fact was.
You see, for us, the representatives of pre-internet era it is important to communicate to you that amazing things were done already before the net. That is why I also had to tell you, that radio was the medium for sharing computer games before internet.


I began the very first session of this course  (before the exchange students arrived) by playing the ever awesome "Friday on my Mind" with the Easybeats hoping that our joint Friday mornings would be worth waiting for. My wish is becoming true.






No comments:

Post a Comment